Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sweet and Savory Cranberry Chicken Salad





With two vegetarian options already in the Summer Salad Series, I thought it was time to add a little meat to the mix.  I am the only real meat eater in the house - hubby being vegetarian and the kids being picky-tarians.  I love to make this salad (especially if I have left over chicken) as a quick lunch or dinner option for myself.
To make it, you'll need:
 
  • 3-4 cooked, cooled chicken breasts *
  • pecans
  • dried cranberries
  • mayonnaise
  • garlic powder
  • Italian seasoning
* I just tried a new way to cook chicken breast, and the meat came out very tender - line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lay down the chicken, cover with another sheet of parchment and fold edges in.  Cook at 425 degrees for 25 minutes (for 5 chicken breasts).
 
Dice chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
 
Add 1 cup cranberries and 1 cup pecans to chicken.
 
Sprinkle a scant 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning and 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder into the bowl.
Add mayonnaise to taste and mix together.  I actually do not like mayonnaise too much, and the other flavors carry their own weight, so I choose to use about a 1/4 cup - just enough to hold the ingredients together.

Let the salad sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour so the flavors can blend. 

Serve on its own, or on a bed of baby spinach or farm fresh spring mix.  Enjoy!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...