Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Iron-y

You know how, when you're pregnant, it seems everyone else is, too?  I've been having that feeling lately about my ironing board. (Ha! I bet you thought this was a clever way to announce a bun in the oven!  Nope - just a post about my ironing board.)

Anyway, my ironing board cover has been hurting for a while.  Every time I iron hubby's pants, the diamond pattern of the metal under the board cover gets transferred onto his pants.  The cover has old interfacing glue and has worn thin.
 

Rusty?! And, see the diamond imprint?


It seems I browse the ironing board covers every time I'm in Target/Walmart but never feel like the time is right to splurge (is that what life has come to that buying a new ironing board cover is "splurging"?  perhaps I just enjoy the simpler things in life?).

Then, lovely bloggers start posting left and right about recovering their ironing boards, too!  So, I decide to do it myself (uh oh!).  I bought some super loft batting and was giddy to find that my thrifted sheet was plenty big to recover the board - hooray!  Pack rat nature pays off!


Dirty, grimy, gross!

So...I take photos of the ratty old cover, gleefully rip it off and throw it away, and set to work on the new one - only to discover that I need to IRON the new one in order to sew it together!  Old cover back on.  Complete project and really love the result (and it actually matches the color palette of its home in the play/craft room).



Ahhh...breathe a sigh of relief.

Iron-y part 2?  Had I just bought a new cover, it probably would have cost about the same!  Oh well - I feel a little bit fancy now when I iron - how many people can say that? 

2 comments:

Ruby said...

Good for you making a new cover. I thought about it a while back and just bought one. I'm definitely not as fancy as you are ;)

Megan said...

HA! Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...